18 May, 2010

Rain Falls

"Why is it raining...AGAIN?!?" "I'm so sick of this weather!" "I was REALLY mad when I woke up to rain AGAIN this morning" "WHERE is the sun?!?"

I have heard (and made) many of these comments often each day during these past few weeks as the weather has been...shall we say...questionable. I have come to realize that I actually LOVE rain. Well, I've always known that I love rain, but recently I've given it a bit more thought.

I love rain when it's cold, and I love it when it's warm. I love it when it's fall and colored leaves litter the wet ground. Right now, I love that everything is green, and when it rains, the green grass and trees almost seem to emit light as the rain falls. I love rain at dusk, when it's not quite dark, and street lights, porch lights and the headlights glow softly in the wet pavement. Spring rain makes sound, but its a quiet and soft, it almost seems to hush the world. It's steady, and cool. I LOVE it.

I must admit that last week I complained over and over again that I wanted the sun to come out. I was sick of taking the kids out into the gross mud; I was sick of being chilly and not being able to get some sun. I wanted to be warm, hot even. I wanted the flowers to stretch up to the sky, and stop bowing to the ground under the weight and cold of the rain. Saturday my wishes came true, and I was more excited about the sunshine than I have in a while...BECAUSE of the rain that came before it! The rain helped me to appreciate the sunshine so much more than I would have if we had been given sunshine all week long.

So, when the rain came back today, I took the time to smell the clean air, to feel the coolness, and to enjoy watching the water fall from the sky...because I know that when the Summer heat comes, I will only be longing for that cold rain to come back to the world!

2 comments:

  1. I love a good rainy day. Especially when there's some sunshine the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I DID find this post, and YOU are a great writer, as well! It must run in our genes, because I think there are many of us in this family who write well. I really enjoyed reading this, AND spending time with you at the Reprise Open House. I'm so glad you're in Utah!

    ReplyDelete